Brands Hatch track is located about 20 miles south-west from London. It was opened for races on April 16th, 1950.
The first race was held around nature-made crater and going counter-clockwise. This circuit was later named
"Indy". In 1954 "Druids" portion of the track was added; after this all of the circuit's
races were held clockwise. In 1960 John Webb - general manager of the track, has gotten approval to start
construction of an additional loop so the circuit length would meet Grand Prix requirement.
Grand Prix World Championship has begun in 1964; from this point on, British Grand Prix was held at the Brands
Hatch track 12 times, alternating with the Silverstone track. In addition to Formula 1 World Championship,
several other competitions were held at the Brand Hatch: Formula 1 - Race of Champions, Challenge Trophy and
Brands Hatch is considered a complex but "fast" track. In 1975-76 several turns were reconstructed,
however this did not affect average speeds of Formula 1 race cars. After Silverstone race track has started
to accept British Grand Prix annually, Formula 1 championship was no longer held at Brand Hatch.