El Autodromo 17 de Octobre (October 17th, 1946 is the date when president Peron came to power) was built by
Buenos Aires city authorities for Grand Prix competitions. The track was opened on March 9th, 1952; in less
than a year since its debut El Autodromo 17 de Octobre was hosting the first Grand Prix of 1953 - Gran Premio
de la Republica Argentina.
The circuit had a network of roads which in various combinations (with each other as well as with the adjoining
Avenida General Paz and Avenida Riccheri roadways) provided more than 15 various "rings", which all
had a designated number. During 1953-1960 races were held on the № 2 track, 1972-1973 on the track
№ 9, 1974-1981 on the track № 15 (also known as "Autodromo Almirante Brown"). Then track
№ 6 became compliant with all the safety requirements; since 1990 it was called "Autodromo Oscar
Alfredo Galvez" (after Oscar Galves - Argentina driver, well-known at the end of 1940s). Competitions were
held on the track № 6 during 1995-1998.
The El Autodromo 17 de Octobre is technically complex and therefore considered a "medium speed" track
(max speed achieved by drivers during a lap is approximately 170 km per hour).